Posted on Tuesday, 28 January 2014
|There's an American celebrity lady coming to Nice. She is known throughout the world, is a symbol of French libert√© and is of French origin but very definitely American. She will take up permanent residence in Nice and will become one of its most well known residents instantly.|
She is the Statue of Liberty and she is a replica of the world famous American landmark statue. It will take up its position on the Quai des Etats Unis, naturally, and she will welcome visitors to Nice with her familiar torch loft stance.
Designed by Frederic Auguste Bartholdi the original stands at 93metres but the Nice statues exact dimensions will not be unveiled until she is. We don't know if she will cut such an imposing figure on the landscape as she does states side, will the Negresco have to compete for dominance on the Baie des Anges skyline?
The great lady is due to be unveiled this coming weekend, the beginning of February to commemorate the beginning of World War I, from 1914 to 1918, 100 yeas ago.
The famous American will be welcome in Nice and will become a symbol of welcome to all the visiting nationalities and residents who call this city home, just as her larger more famous sister is.
Five interesting facts you may not have known about the original statue of liberty.
1. She was a gift to the United States from France in 1886
2. She holds a torch and tablet with the date of the American Declaration of Independence inscribed on it, July 4th 1776.
3. She is Libertas, the Roman goddess of freedom.
4. She takes a size 879 shoe, weighs 204 metric tonnes and has a 35 foot waistline
5. There are replicas of her in Paris, Tokyo, Las Vegas, Buenos Aires and many, many smaller versions in hundreds of countries worldwide.